Monday, January 21, 2008

No Victory No Peace



This mousetrap does not deliver. It tortures.

When the leaves turned brown and the mice moved in, I went to Carr Hardware. The staff at Carr's quickly directed me to right aisle. I picked up a pack of the old wooden mousetraps but was persuaded to to try the new plastic model. It promised to be easy: easy to bait, easy to catch mice, easy to kill and easy to unload and reload.

The packaging was clever enough to allow a simulation in the store. I set the trap and tripped it with my finger. I wondered if the jaws would be strong enough to kill immediately: they had nothing approaching the force of the old fashioned mousetraps. Safe around children, I suppose. I was assured the new model would be very effective on mice. It wasn't.

The trap was indeed easy to load but its performance was dismal. Escapes, live catches, slow messy deaths. If you don't object to torture, use glue boards: they are more effective. Otherwise, use the old spring loaded wooden traps. All are manufactured by Woodstream.

5 comments:

Kou Jie said...

AS elusive as ever, the better mousetrap. Why not go biological? Cat? Terrier?

Kou Jie said...

Ah, the better mousetrap. As elusive as ever....

What's wrong with a terrier or cat?

Atworth said...

Great idea. Cats work very well on mice but not so well on me. I have been arguing in favor of the terrier option for quite some time. Paco, the terrier sitting beside me, is a regular visitor and has been offered a full time job, but his owner has demurred. Paco’s attitude and skills, however, are unquestioned. My hound is no longer up to the task: while his nose still performs, his eyes and ears don’t.

paco said...

I'm looking forward to taking your job offer as soon as I get rid of the big rat in my backyard.

I certainly hope you are not using those evil traps (or any other traps) anymore!

Atworth said...

Paco: Better hone your skills.